In late 2009, I decided to replace the aging XWiki installation for the Alitheia Core web page with Drupal. I always had a very good impression of Drupal, so I decided to go for it instead of its main competitor, Wordpress. The initial impression was quite good, with several of the desired features (comments, accounts, etc) being already in the default installation, while plug-ins enabled more advanced functionality (code highlighting, citation management). One particular plug-in that I installed was Mollom, that uses machine learning to automatically filter out spam messages.

During those 3 years, the installation was kept relatively secure, but required constant updates. The updates were not exactly of the click and button and wait type either, as most of them required modifications to the database schema. Now perhaps being more pedantic than I should, I always backed up the Drupal database and applied updates one by one, which costed me quite some time.

Last week, I noticed that the number of visits to the site has increased sharply during the last few months. While my first reaction was along the lines of "we must be doing something right!", further examination revealed that I was definitely doing something wrong:

  1. I had been running the site with comments enabled for authenticated users, to encourage user communication and participation. Registered users did not require any administrative action to enable their accounts and post comments.
  2. From the HTTP logs, I noticed several new users had been created and they appeared in Drupal's administration console. As the user registration page included a relatively strong CAPTCHA test, courtesy of Mollom, I wondered why this happened, so I visited it. There was no CAPTCHA at all in place!
  3. Then I remembered that a couple of months ago I had updated Mollom, so I visited its administration console page. The page listed the correct settings. When I went back I saw the Drupal reported a required database upgrade, which I never saw before. I suspect that visiting the Mollom web page triggered the notification.
  4. I checked the comment sections of several web pages. No filtering was active and several thousand comments were created.
  5. I realized that this war was lost. I 've disabled comments and user accounts altogether.

For me, the moral of the story is that for such simple, mostly static sites CMSs add more burden that convenience. I don't think most research sites need anything more than a few easily updatable web pages. Therefore, from now on, I will use exclusively the same tool I use for creating this blog and website: Jekyll



Published

25 November 2012

Tags


Sharing

Submit to HN